This is a high level document that outlines an organisation’s / project’s approach to OM.
The overall aim of the policy shall be to set in place the requirement for processes and capability for Obsolescence Management that will minimise the Obsolescence risk to the availability of equipment and continued supply and support of parts, therefore:
- Minimising the unacceptable loss of operational capability
- Achieving a reduction in Design Changes
- Reducing through life costs
- Reducing / mitigating unplanned expenditure by maximising the time and options available by proactively planning for obsolescence.
- Through a common approach, avoid multiple independent efforts to resolve the same or similar obsolescence instances.
- Ensuring that an organisations OM capability will comply with:
- BS EN 62402:2007 Obsolescence Management – Application Guide.
- Major Customer’s Policies such as JSP886 (UK), SD-22 (US)